Harm Reduction Peer Support Specialist
Asheville CPSS Community Navigator – Syringe Services Job Description
Western North Carolina AIDS Project (WNCAP) is dedicated to preventing new cases of HIV/AIDS and promoting self-sufficiency in people living with HIV. WNCAP provides HIV-related client support, prevention, education and advocacy activities guided by the belief that all people are entitled to equal access to health care. WNCAP employs 30+ people and has 3 locations in Western NC.
Working under WNCAP’s Office Manager/SSP Coordinator, the primary role of the Harm Reduction Certified Peer Support Specialist (CPSS) is to engage WNCAP syringe exchange participants in the counties of Buncombe, Haywood, and surrounding areas by creating and maintaining meaningful peer relationships while utilizing healthy boundaries. The CPSS must be comfortable around people who are actively using substances and injection equipment, including needles, and have a minimum of 12 months of active substance use recovery.
This is a full-time nonexempt position operating out of WNCAP’s Asheville, NC office. Regular work hours are 9am-5pm Monday-Friday with 1 hour paid lunch, but candidate should have the ability and willingness to work weekends, infrequently and with advance notice, as-needed.
Job duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide non-judgmental, non-coercive, confidential provision of services and resources to participants in order to assist them in reducing harm while not attempting to minimize or ignore the danger associated with licit and illicit drug use.
- Provide transportation for participants to and from relevant appointments.
- Operate mobile and fixed-site syringe services.
- Practice the best safety precautions at all times.
- Mitigate barriers to primary care and substance use treatment, including transportation.
- Build and maintain relationships with participants based on Harm Reduction philosophies.
- Provide available information regarding drug use, HIV, Viral Hepatitis, available resources, and other subjects to participants when relevant.
- Data Entry and paperwork completion.
- Offer and perform testing for participants.
- Use time efficiently while maintaining flexibility, working at times on weekends or outside traditional office hours.
- Travel as needed for training, meetings, and workshops.
- Communicate effectively with teammates and participants.
- Work well independently and in a team setting.
Requirements and Skills:
Candidates must have the following skills and meet these requirements in order to be considered for this position:
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently; bilingual ability is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license, vehicle liability coverage, and use of a reliable personal vehicle during scheduled work hours.
- Must be willing and able to drive long distances transporting and/or visiting participants.
- Must be willing and able to spend long periods of time in a stationary position working at a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Ability to maintain participant and client confidentiality.
- Knowledge of local community resources (preferred but not required).
- Eligibility to be certified by the State of North Carolina’s Peer Support Specialist training program.
- Willingness to complete trainings as required, upon hire.
Compensation and Benefits
The Harm Reduction Peer Support Specialist is a full-time nonexempt position based out of WNCAP’s Asheville, NC office, located at 554 Fairview Rd, Asheville NC 28803. Pay rate is $15.86 per hour, approximately $33k per year at full time hours. WNCAP is a certified living wage agency.
- Partial employer-sponsored health, vision, and dental insurance
- Employer-sponsored life insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays
WNCAP is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to foster a workplace that supports and amplifies a diverse array of voices and experiences. We strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, people living with HIV, and veterans to apply.
Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any status protected under local, state or federal laws.
For consideration for this position, please submit a COVER LETTER detailing your interest in WNCAP and the position, as well as your current RESUME, including “CPSS Asheville” in the subject line, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we cannot respond to all correspondence received.
Thank you so much for your interest in WNCAP.